18.8.07

Cocktail Craftsmanship

After a long night at the restaurant I sometimes crave a well made cocktail. Wether it is a simple superchilled Dirty Martini or a beautifully balanced Negroni, I am always searching for perfection. Most recently on my trip to New York, I had the pleasure of being taken too a great a little bar called The East Side Company, where they expertly mix your drink with the same precision and passion that you see at some of the top restaurants. What struck me was that you don't order a cocktail by name, but rather by the base. Meaning vodka, gin, whiskey, etc. They then concoct a unique cocktail based on your preferences. It was remarkable. Think underground prohibition era speakeasy with a secret door and super secrecy. Definitely cool. So I started thinking, what if we could come up with a few "perfect" cocktails to begin or end your evening here at the restaurant. With that in mind I came back with a vision of creating cocktails that are balanced, beautiful and delicious. My inspiration was America, and the classic cocktails of years gone by. So now in the works are modern takes on the Mint Julep, Tom Collins, The Martini and a few others. I hope to offer these cocktails as an extension of our beverage program, to make your meal more memorable and to enjoy the craftsmanship of a properly made drink. Stay Tuned.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea, Travis. A cocktail before dinner, a digestif after makes the whole evening so - civilised.

A restaurant that blew me away in Sydney was Bayswater Brasserie. The place was quality old school classic without being stuffy. And it had a great bar in a separate section with an extensive drink list and well-made cocktails. Made the whole night.

In Singapore I like Coffee Bar K at UE Square for good cocktails.

Brenda

ChefTJM said...

Brenda:
I too enjoy Coffee Bar K. It would be nice as you mentioned to start your evening with a well made cocktail. It does add to the overall experience and is a suggestion to our guests that if we can make a great cocktail, the rest of the evening is in good hands. Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Travis... congratulations on a great job with the cocktail list. I am sure they will be a hit.