2.2.09

Herb Garden and Veggie Patch

I am very excited to announce that Spruce will have an onsite vegetable and herb garden. When we were first looking at the space we noticed we had the opportunity to do something special and unique. Many of you know my devotion to growing and sourcing great products from around the world, but as we hear everyday on the news, global climate change is upon us. With this in mind we find it opportune to look at fulfilling not only our desire to help the planet but also our desire to put incredibly tasty food on your plates.

Our goal is being supported by Grace Cup, a malaysian purveyor of great vegetables and produce that has been supporting me from the beginning. They also happen to be the growers of my tomatoes that so many of you love. In any event our relationship has spawned us to develop the Spruce Learning Garden. Here, everyone will have the opportunity to see how mother nature takes care of us.  We hope to introduce seed sowing days for children, so that they can see how vegetables grow, from watering the first seed to harvesting and finally eating what they have worked so hard to grow. Of course we will be using the garden to grow great veg and herbs for the restaurant as well and should become a great learning centre for me and my cooks. 

The concept of the garden is to understand where our food comes from. Many people in todays world don't know how the most common of fruits and vegetables are grown. As with most things, bringing it to reality is often more challenging than it seems. I am sure we will have our ups and downs and many days of frustration. But, it will all be worth it when I go down in the morning and pick the days produce right from the ground. I can't wait! 

No comments: