28.2.09

A slight delay

Wow, things have really been moving fast. It seems like yesterday that we started construction. After, some ups and downs though it finally look like we will be able to open in the next 10 days or so. While we had hoped to be open by the beginning of March things have moved a little slower than anticipated. But, with every set back it becomes clear that the space is truly special. I am so excited to serve all of you again and to welcome new guests to a really unique and great space. 

With all the delays the one thing that was completed early was the kitchen, which has been great to do some testing and tasting. What has become clear is that I have a great team of passionate and committed cooks whose sole goal is to make the best food they can. The food style is decidedly European with a focus on Italy and France with just a touch of fresh Asian Flavor. The food is bright, fresh and clean with little frying or butter used throughout. 

Our Bakery is taking shape and I tasted some great bread over the last few days and can say that our bread will stand head and above the rest. We are using old world bread making techniques, high quality ingredients and baking fresh everyday. Along with our bread program we will also be showcasing beautiful tarts and cakes in the dining room for everyone to see. They include a gorgeous blueberry and coconut tart with just a hint of lemon, a decadent valrhona chocolate tart on a polenta crust and a superbly sweet/sour whole lemon tart that has just the right amount of bitterness and lemony sweetness. Along with all of that we will be baking muffins, scones, cookies and cupcakes fresh everyday, guaranteed. 

If you have been reading this blog, feel free to drop me a line and say hello. It gets a little lonely when no one says hello. Good eats!


12 comments:

mgh said...

Had to say Hello and let you know that I've been here the whole time supporting you and your ideas from 9,411 miles away. Hopefully this fall I will be able to stop in and sip on Grower Champagne while talking about "the laundry". AS always best of luck.

Anonymous said...

Travis, you only know me as the spouse of someone but you don't even understand how big a fan I am of you and of food in general. Waiting for your opening...quite a few new places have opened but alas with more ambiance than the quality of food. Looking forward to Spruce's opening. Hey, and as a fellow American....please make sure Thanksgiving will be featured at Spruce as well as more organic and artisanal foods.

Good luck, I'll be there when you open!
Teresa

ChefTJM said...

Wow, 9,000 miles is far!!!! I never tried to calculate. Anyway, you know it would be so great for you to visit. I don't often get visitors from afar. Life is to short not to have a little fun with wine and food and grower champagnes are a great way to explore a region that is frankly quite commercialized. So drink up! Take care and all the best and thanks for following. T

ChefTJM said...

Teresa:
Hey thanks for the kind words. You will definitely see a lot of great new products and we have some really exciting things happening with the garden and veggie patch as well as growing heirloom veggies in Malaysia. I really do believe the restaurant is a great mix of style and substance. It is certainly unique for Singapore and we have put our heart and soul into the place. I can't wait to welcome you back!! Cheers.

T

Anonymous said...

Hello from Denver.
Awesome news and great blog. your life has REALLY been busy lately with the restaurant and Lucas!
Wishing you awesome days ahead!
Christie

Unknown said...

I wish you nothing but success and happiness with your restaurant. I hope to come down and visit some time after I get settled in China. (I am friends with your wife). I will add a link for your blog onto mine AND add the RSS feed so I don't miss anything.

Anonymous said...

Hey Travis! I'm really excited for you about this opportunity! Hopefully, at some point this year, I can make a journey out there to see it all first hand. :) Best of luck!

Lorrie

Anonymous said...

Ok then, I'd like reservations for 2 on... YUMMY!!

From one ex-restauranteur to a new up and coming one, good going and good luck!

Chef Adam said...

old word bread techniques...blueberry and coconjut tart...your making me horny:)

fatitalianmama said...

Hi Travis

I am so glad i found your blog. I am a big fan of yours and i can't wait for your restaurant to open. I have a group called The Good Life Club that brings together people who love good food, good wine & great company. We do events every couple of months and i'd love to do something at SPRUCE. E-mail me at carolynkan@gmail.com

I've also started on a new venture. I now import grower producer champagnes which i'd love for you to try to see what you think.

See you soon!

Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Hey man, congrats on everything. I've heard nothing but good things about Spruce thus far...how's being a Pop? It's rough going the first couple of months, but gets markedly better with time...Cheers!

-Dan

ChefTJM said...

all:
Thanks for all the support, even from afar. Will be posting plenty of pictures and thoughts as the restaurant matures. One of the great things about blogging is meeting all of you who I might never of had the chance to meet in person. I really am grateful and do please introduce yourself when you visit the restaurant. Cheers.
T