7.3.09

Cocktails and Creations

Wow, first, let me thank all of you who wrote in with kind words of encouragement, it really means a lot. We are so close at the restaurant and will be putting on the final touches in the next few days. We have already booked our first private event at the restaurant, so things will start with a bang. 

Ok, on to cocktails. I have been thinking about our cocktail program for a long time and honestly was a little lost up until today. What spawned the sudden creativity was delivery from a supplier who brought us our Sodas for the restaurant. A couple of months back we did a tasting of Tiro Sodas from Australia and immediately fell in love. With great flavors of elderflower, grapefruit, blood orange and passionfruit it all clicked. Why don't I use those flavor bases as the beginnings of great ingredient driven cocktails. So here is what I came up with: 

Blood Orange Negroni (Campari, Gin, Blood Orange Soda and Sweet Vermouth)
Ginger and Elderflower Fizz (Ginger Syrup, Elderflower Soda, Mint Leaves, Calamansi Lime, Gin)
Back Porch Passion Fruit Lemonade (Passion Fruit Soda, Cranberry, Lemon Juice, Vodka, Fresh Ginger)
Basil and Grapefruit Summer Punch (Gin, Cointreau, Basil Leaves, Lime Juice, Grapefruit Juice)

They each use a different Soda and will be the anchors on our house cocktail list. I can't wait to get into the bar and start developing the recipes for these libations! Of course these are just ideas, we will have to see what reality brings when I start mixing, but I can already taste these refreshing cocktails and know they will be a great thirst quencher on hot days in the Singapore Sun. Cheers!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Mate - great to see you! Am I being stupid but where are the details on the resto?

Can't wait - when is the opening date? Your writing on the champagne sounds incredible - can't wait to see the wine list...

So... address and opening date - am there! Great work - your creativity shines through...

Unknown said...

Sadder than sad that I couldn't stay long enough for the opening of SPRUCE - but you know how incredibly proud of you we are ... best wishes for an exciting and successful opening!

ingenue said...

Hi there!

I work at NYU Tisch School of the Arts Asia along Kay Siang Road. I saw your sign up at Phoenix Park and found your blog via Google. Can't wait to see your menu.

Do keep us in the loop on your opening and all.

Cheers,
Wen
xww2@nyu.edu

Chef Adam said...

i love your attention to detail from the bubblies to the soda...the key to a great restaurateur

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... cocktails made with flavored sodas? I bet that you aren't going to serve chicken "flavored" as rabbit, right? So why use anything less than freshly pressed orange juice?

Good luck with the restaurant.

ChefTJM said...

Hello: A note on the flavored sodas and our cocktails. I want to first mention taht the sodas are all natural with no artificial flavorings and without high fructose corn syrup which is the downfall of so many sodas. The Tiro sodas offer great flavor enhancement to our cocktails in that they offer carbonation and clarity of flavor. All of our juices are hand pressed as well, except the cranberry, which I haven't figured out how to do just yet! Anyway, come down and try, I am very proud and of them. T

Anonymous said...

Hey there,

I went to your restaurant after reading about Spruce. Any ways I can send you a private msg? That would be much better. :)

C

ChefTJM said...

Hello:
Please contact me at travismasiero@spruce.com.sg
I look forward to hearing from you.