15.7.09

New Happenings

Hey, sorry for the looooooooong delay. I didn't realize its almost been two months since I posted last, how crazy. In any event, we have been working hard everyday to make your experience here better than the last and we have a host of new updates for everyone out there. First, the space, we have just finalized plans for our new bar on our lower patio which will feature a Japanese style sit-down bar framed by mid century modern furnishings and raw wood tables and bar counter. I am truly excited not only for the bar but also because we have retained the skills of a japanese trained bartender who used to serve me my favorite cocktails at Coffee Bar K. Expect really great cocktails, hand carved ice and a selection of wonderful libations from the world over.

For those with Children, we have just completed our Spruce Playground which should serve as a great tool to keep the kids occupied while you try to get a good cup of coffee in the morning, undisturbed.

We have also been working on and are completing a Spruce Canteen, a small takeaway hut just at the top of Phoenix Park that will serve some local favorites, our bakery goods and of course a few Spruce special features such as the SpruceDog!

I have just amended all of our menus to include some new items for both lunch and dinner. A tuscan inspired Antipasto Salad with fire roasted Capsicum, chickpeas and green olive vinaigrette is my new favorite. Our rendition of the "Fathers Office" burger was so popular we decided that it had to be on the menu full time, so it is. Lastly, what is fast becoming our signature dessert, The Spruce Sundae, has finally moved from feature item to the full time menu. I would tell you more but I think you have to experience the Sundae for yourself to make up your mind, it is truly decadent.

For Brunch you have to try the new Steak and Eggs Benedict with Black Pepper Hollandaise on toasted Ciabatta, it is easily one of the best things I have created this year and as an aside is a great hangover remedy. Also, don't miss our Spruce Cinammon Rolls that are baked fresh to order. The wafts of cinammon and sugar as they pass through the dining room are intoxicating.

I think thats it for now. Hope to see all of you soon. Cheers!!

12 comments:

Karen said...

hi there

My husband and I have visited a few times with our 2yo, and are delighted to hear about the playground! Thanks for that addition.

I also wanted to compliment you on your burgers - they are truly delicious, and the buns are just perfect.

I'm sure you'll introduce new brunch and cake items from time to time - we like what you've done so far!

One note on service. The female staff member who seated us was excellent (wish I'd caught her name, I think she had pigtails if that helps!), but the slightly older gentleman was a bit irritating. He made a great show of being attentive, but came back to the table twice to confirm items from our order. Honestly, if you can't remember, just use a notepad. He also kept making a regular show of walking over and peering at our table, which was intrusive, but it was the female waitress who actually noticed things like that our water was empty, and discreetly refilled it.

Overall though, we love visiting Spruce and hope you keep up the great work!

ChefTJM said...

Karen:
Thank you for your comments. My team and I will continue to work hard to improve our products and services at Spruce. Please ask to speak with me the next time you are in as I would love to meet you personally. I have noted your comments on our staff and will bring up the issues you raised accordingly. All the best an hope to see you soon. Take care.

Julie said...

Hello there. Why doesn't Spruce have a website? And if it does why can't I find it? Wonderful with your blog though. I haven't been to Spruce yet, but plan on going Sunday - if there's any available seats. I'm looking forward and will let you know my thoughts :)

Julie said...

Sorry...my fault. Just found your website under construction :)

kareren said...

Hi there!

I've heard many great things about Spruce from friends who have visited but I have never been there, so I'm writing with great interest to feature Spruce on a new website called Quaff (www.quaffmagazine.com) which focuses on products, cocktails, bartending, happenings pertaining to the alcohol industry.

If you could allow us to take some photos and ask you a couple of questions, and at the same time let you know more about what we are doing, that would be fantastic. Please get back to me at [karen@quaffmagazine.com].

Thank you!

ChefTJM said...

Julie:
Yes, sorry our website is in development and should be ready shortly. I just now saw your post so I didn't get a chance to make sure you had a table for today. If you did come I hope you enjoyed your Brunch with us. All the best and take care.

Mae said...

Hi there!

I have heard great reviews about Spruce and hence thinking of having a birthday dinner there. It is for about 17+ people. Is it possible to accommodate such a number nicely? Do you have an email that I could email you at? I tried finding your website, but the website is still under construction.

Mae

Vivian said...

Hi Travis,
Ever since I knew about your restaurant, I have been a champion for it recommending it to all my friends. I love the natural ambience and the potential of your wholesome creations. My favorites so far are still your Spruce burger and eggs benny on corn waffle.

That said, I have been to Spruce several times and found the service overall to be hit and miss. Sometimes we got cheerful and polite servers while other times we had rather grumpy ones who seemed like they didn't want to be there. We are not by any means demanding people but perhaps some of your staff need more inspiration.

Taking reservations properly seems to be a problem as well, judging from some comments made by other diners. Last night (Thu)I made a reservation for Sat 8th lunch but had to call today to cancel as my friends couldn't make it. The lady I spoke to told me there was no reservation at all under my name. A few minutes later she called to tell me that the reservation was put in for Sat 15th instead. If we had shown up this Sat, we would be without a table. Then she asked me whether I still want to come on the 15th... An honest mistake perhaps and not a huge deal but I am writing to alert you of this potential problem which could turn good/loyal customers away. They just need to pay more attention.

You must be very busy tending to all the exciting developments and I can't wait to try your new creations soon. I can already smell the cinnamon buns piping in the oven!

Cheers,
Vivian

Anonymous said...

Hi Travis,

Is there an email address I could direct my comments to? I tried emailing the reservations email, but it bounced back.

Cheers,
Nic

Chef Adam said...

your making me hungry and i just ate. i hope to make it soon to see you guys, in the meanwhile ive been in santa monica for 2 months and havent gone to fathers office...now i must and them ill imagine im in spruce. happy to see your success in raising 2 babies:)

ChefTJM said...

Hello:
You can contact me personally at travismasiero@spruce.com.sg. Thanks.

Jennifer Chia said...

Hi Chef Travis, i got recommended to yr restuarant by some food addicts around me and heard that yr restaurant and food and staff are excellent in all aspects. would like to have a chance to meet up with u for some discussion on our upcoming staff party (headcount of 50) if possible, coming up in Jan 10. i'll drop u an email to make appointment or might drop by for a weekend brunch with my family.

see u soon, Jennifer Chia