2.9.09

The Creative Process

The mind of a chef is often filled with taste and flavor memories, seemingly shook up over time like one of those snow globes that everyone recieves at Christmas. Most often the context of a new dish is created in my head and eaten before a fork can even get close. Questions like texture and temperature contrast are debated at length and whether the dish has consistency or execution issues or wether it costs too much. But, the most important question is, Does it taste great?

I always feel that a great dish is one that has gone through a rigorous editing process. In that I mean, ingredients and techniques are scrutinized and the question is asked: What does this particular ingredient or technique do for the dish? If I cannot answer that question then it gets removed and I move on. I am currently developing a few new ideas for dishes to add to the menu and this is the process I go through. Many times, conceptually the dish sounds great and in my head I can taste the components working together, but in reality there is a diversion or confluence of other matters at play. I would say out of ten dishes I conceive theoretically only 1 will ever actually make it to the plate and your stomachs.

4 comments:

Nicholina said...

Hi Chef Travis,

Tried emailing you to thank you for the excellent time my guests and I had at Spruce on Saturday, but I think your mailbox is full and my email bounced back.

Really appreciate the effort put in and I think it is safe to say that my guests and I will be back for more soon!

Unknown said...

Hi Chef Travis

My fiance and I are looking for a venue to hold our solemnisation and are interested in holding it at Spruce!

Pls email me to discuss further.
=)Joyce

ChefTJM said...

Joyce:
Please email me at travismasiero@spruce.com.sg
Thanks and I look forward to speaking with you.

Leon Koh said...

nice blog.. will give Spruce a try soon!

Leon
http://hanleong.blogspot.com