4.1.09

Opening a Restaurant

I thought it might be kind of fun to talk about all the things that go into opening a restaurant. It is one of the most rewarding and challenging experiences someone in the business can and should do. It tests your ability to communicate, organize, conceptualize, reason, compromise and visualize among a slew of others. Everything you take for granted normally has to be decided on. What type of toilet paper, the color and type of font for the logo, the location of the trash, what insurance to buy for the staff, to have fans or air-con, dim light or bright light, cans or bottled beer, bacon or no bacon etc. The list is endless, but the process is something that I love and always find to be the most fun during any new project. I like to think of the finished space, the food my guests will be eating and the great times in the future I have an opportunity to share in and create. 

For my new restaurant, spruce, my partner and I are constantly discussing the little things that will make your experience at the restaurant special. What has been most thrilling for me is to have a hand in designing the space from the beginning, developing the decor, style and atmosphere that will all culminate when our guests sit down to enjoy a meal. I will be putting up a few photos of the space shortly for everyone to see the transformation from thought to reality. Cheers!

No comments: