9.4.09

The good and not so good

What can I say, we have been blessed by the response to the restaurant. It has been overwhelming at times and to be honest we had a few rough patches along the way. What is true though is that everyday we are getting better and learning from our mistakes. We have been fortunate enough to get a lot of feedback and we use this in a constructive way to help better not only the restaurant but ourselves as well. Our staff has been the backbone to our success and have continued to give 100% every step of the way with a smile on thier face.

I must also apologize to all those people who have called the restaurant to make a booking and have either been told we are fully booked or have just been left to hear the phone ringing. We never want to dissapoint any guest and when we do not answer it is not that we are trying to ignore you, we just physically do not have enough people to answer the phones! The reservations have been filling up fast and I can tell you that it is our intention to leave room for walk-ins at all times, we want the restaurant to be accessible to everyone. So if you cannot book, I encourage you to come on down, most of the time you will have no problem getting a table.

There have also been some changes at the restaurant and we are continuing to evolve and look at how to better both our food and service. We are not perfect, but we aim to be as close as possible. I thank all of you who have shown continued support and for your encouragement along the way. This is a dream of both mine and my partner Danny's, to create a restaurant where everyone feels at home. Hope to see you soon.

T

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I wanted to give you some feedback on my experience with your restaurant. I'm no food expert and I understand it's early days yet, but good food and credentials can only get you so far if customer service falls short.

Firstly, congratulations on a beautiful space. Singapore definitely needs more entrepreneurship, good taste and good food.

My unfortunate experience with Spruce started with reservations. No one picked up the phone for ages (I tried calling over 2 days every 10min for an hour). Not having enough people to pick up the phone is really not an excuse. An answering machine and a person who is responsible for calling back would be a good investment.

I finally made a reservation for 10 April for 7pax. Unfortunately some of us couldn't make it on that day itself so I callled to postpone it to 11 April. No one picked up the phone on 10 April for me to cancel the booking and to change the reservation (I later spoke to Mary who told me that one of your staff said they had called me because I hadn't turned up but that is not true. I received no calls from Spruce at all on 10April which is odd considering the reservation was for 7pax). Eventually, after I called again on 11 April, Mary managed to rustle up a table for me after I pretty much coerced her into it.

We ordered 2 big brekkies that came without bacon. When we asked the server, he said he would check. I would assume that your staff should know what is in each dish. And that the dish shouldn't have left the kitchen incomplete. One of us ordered the banana pancakes and what she got was plain hotcakes. No syrup no butter nothing. The server had obviously taken our order wrongly and my friend eventually got the banana pancakes. After the rest of us had finished our meal.

I would like to patron Spruce again as I thought most of your food was good. And I'm sure a lot of people would too, given we're all starved for a casual relaxed place where we can have a pleasant meal in fabulous surrounds. However some things need to be addressed in order for customers to want to continue going back. You may get a lot of first-timers but their experience may prevent them from wanting to return.

Jaime